From inventing compression release technology to developing next-generation valve trains and advanced braking systems, we are continually raising the levels of performance—for power, fuel economy, and reduced emissions—that heavy-duty commercial vehicles can achieve.
Compression Release Brake
The Jacobs' Compression Release Brake® takes the load off the foundation brakes, turning your power-producing diesel engine into a power-absorbing air compressor using a compression-release mechanism. By providing supplemental braking power to the trucks, engine braking reduces the total cost of ownership for the truck and increases safety, while allowing the truck to meet regulatory requirements.
- Capable of 85% of the vehicle’s braking needs
- Increases productivity by maintaining higher average downhill speed
- Reduces slowing time/distances on flat land, slowing a heavily loaded vehicle from 90 to 70 kph in 30% less time and distance than with wheel brakes alone
- Lower total cost of ownership
- Significantly reduces brake wear
- Eliminates “brake fade” due to high temperatures on the friction brakes; keeping them cool for maximum effectiveness when needed
High Power Density®
Developed in the U.S., tested throughout Europe, Jacobs High Power Density (HPD®) technology is the next logical step in engine braking. HPD provides you with the lightest, most cost-effective, high power vehicle retarding technology available.
- Doubles braking power at low engine speed compared to conventional compression release brakes
- Provides a high performance solution with proven technology components
- Sustained vehicle retarding without having to downshift
- Compensates for decreased aerodynamic drag and decreased rolling resistance of the latest trucks
- Compensates for the trend toward lower engine speed operation and specification of smaller displacement engines
- Operates at the engine speeds you use, so you avoid downshifting during retarding
Jacobs’ Cylinder Deactivation (CDA) leverages Jacobs’ well-established componentry to disable engine valves in selected cylinders which allows a large engine to have the fuel economy of a smaller engine. Also, higher exhaust temperatures in operating cylinders maintain aftertreatment temperatures at low load conditions and start-up.
- Fuel economy improvements through reduced pumping losses and friction
- Faster engine and aftertreatment system warm-up
- Improves efficiency in firing cylinders during low load operation
- Improves emissions by keeping the aftertreatment system hot during low load operation
- Minimizes cooling of aftertreatment during coasting
- Hydraulically actuated mechanism integrates into pushrod or bridge
- Modular and compatible with High Power Density® engine brake technology
- An optional feature of Jacobs’ Lost Motion VVA
2-Step Variable Valve Actuation
Jacobs Vehicle Systems’ Two-Step Variable Valve Actuation (VVA) is for OEM’s challenged with meeting future transient emissions and fuel economy targets. A variable lift valvetrain opens up possibilities to meet these needs with minimal changes to the base engine and aftertreatment system while using proven mechanisms to achieve these benefits.
- Reduces fuel consumption
- Optimizes compression ratio vs load
- Improves transient response
- Improves tail pipe emissions by keeping the aftertreatment system hot during low load operation
- Reduces engine-out NOx emissions
- Available for multiple valvetrain types
- Provides many benefits of a fully-flexible VVA system with a less complex, lower cost system
Lashless Valvetrain with Engine Braking
Jacobs' Fulcrum Technology enables the use of a hydraulic lash adjuster and an engine brake.
- Eliminate the need to adjust valve lash
- Cut production time and cost at the manufacturer's assembly line
- Increase vehicle uptime with reduced maintenance time and cost for operators
- Cam design optimization for improved performance and efficiency by optimizing seating ramps
- Reduce noise, vibration, and harshness due to improved valve seating
- Fulcrum bridge offers a simple, cost-effective solution without compromise
Active Decompression Technology®
Jacobs Vehicle Systems’ Active Decompression Technology® (ADT®) allows drivers to experience smoother start-ups with faster starting times and engine shutdown without engine-induced cabin vibration.
- Eliminates engine-shutdown-induced cabin vibration
- Improves driver satisfaction
- Increases engine cranking speed for easier start-up
- Improves cold start
- Lowers cranking torque & current draw
- Reduces starter system wear
- Reduces crank and bearing starting loads and wear
- Simple, cost-effective design
- Compliments start-stop fuel savings strategies
- Increases driver willingness to use optional start-stop
Variable Valve Actuation
Jacobs’ Variable Valve Actuation and control systems bring you an entire suite of solutions to help achieve performance, fuel economy and emissions targets. This can range from fully-flexible valve trains to very specific, targeted variability.
- Lower emissions
- Optimized fuel consumption
- Improved transient response
- After treatment temperature management
- Individual cylinder control
- Ease of integration
- Cycle-to-cycle response time
- Variable compression ratio
- Infinite braking modulation
- Mechanical valve life with no oil
Our Bleeder Brake technology offers a braking solution for applications on smaller displacement engines and those with low load-carrying ability.
- Increased vehicle control
- Quiet operation, so it can be used wherever and whenever needed
- Design flexibility to work with most engines
- Low added weight
- Reduced wear on engine, tires, wheel ends and service brakes
- No additional valvetrain loading