Performance benefits of Jacobs’ Compression Release Brake
- Capable of 85% of the vehicle’s braking needs
- Increases productivity by maintaining higher average downhill speed
- Reduces slowing time/distances on flat land, slowing a heavily loaded vehicle from 90 to 70 kph in 30% less time and distance than with wheel brakes alone
- Lower total cost of ownership
- Significantly reduces brake wear
- Eliminates “brake fade” due to high temperatures on the friction brakes; keeping them cool for maximum effectiveness when needed.
How Jacobs’ Compression Release Brake works
When activated, when the engine is not fueling, the Jacobs’ Compression Release Brake opens the exhaust valves near the top of the compression stroke, releasing the highly compressed air through the exhaust system. The vehicle energy is used to push the engine to compress the air, but little energy is returned to the piston, and as the cycle repeats, the energy of the truck’s forward motion is dissipated, causing the truck to slow down.